This deliciously simple dish can be used as either an appetizer or a side! Tender organic asparagus spears wrapped with nitrate-free bacon and roasted to perfection is wonderfully quick and easy, making it great for both your weeknight dinners and for hosting fancy parties.
If you have an air fryer, it will cut down the cooking time, but a regular convection oven will do just as well, and you can preheat while you’re working. As far as tips go, don’t overcrowd the roasting pan and make sure the drippings from the bacon can go somewhere so that the bacon doesn’t turn soggy—a roasting pan that allows for runoff is really helpful in this case.
Serve this with shaved organic and grass-fed shaved parmesan, or just a simple wedge of organic pesticide-free lemon. Pesticides and herbicide residue that we accidentally ingest are terrible for our health, so spring for organic wherever you can. Traditionally bacon is made with a lot of nitrates which is harmful to our hearts, among other things, so make sure the package says “nitrate-free.”
We hope you enjoy this as much as we did, especially for the upcoming holiday season!
- 12 – 18 organic thick asparagus spears
- 12 – 18 thin sliced organic uncured/nitrate-free bacon
- Pepper to taste
- Grass-fed organic shaved parmesan cheese, for garnish (optional)
- 2 – 3 organic lemon wedges, for garnish
- If you don’t have an air fryer, preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and cut off the bottom stringy portion (about an inch) of the asparagus spears.
- Wrap spears in a spiral with the thinly sliced bacon.
- If using a traditional oven, place onto a roasting tray, being careful not to crowd. Best to use a roasting tray that allows the drippings to fall through so the bacon can crisp up. Place in the oven and roast for 7-9 minutes, or until the bacon has cooked and is mostly crispy.
- Alternatively, roast in an air fryer for 5 – 7 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, until bacon is done.
- Place onto a plate, garnish with black pepper, shaved parmesan cheese if using, and organic lemon wedges. Serve hot!