Cauliflower Hummus (Za’atar Flavor)
This creamy cauliflower hummus is a low-carb no legume dip option that has a creamy hummus texture but none of the heaviness that follows. Serve with vegetable sticks, in a lettuce wrap, or over eggs, the delicious za’atar flavor isn’t overpowering but still full of middle eastern flavor.
This cauliflower needs to be roasted low and slow in order for the outside to not burn. We like to toss the garlic into the oven with it during the last five minutes or so in order to give the garlic a mild roasted flavor (otherwise it can sometimes be too spicy.)
You can make a lot of this at once, and it will keep for about 4 days in the fridge. While simple, what makes this dish shine is your dedication to using fresh and organic ingredients, which are more delicious and healthier for you!
- 2 cups of raw organic cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup organic extra virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for roasting, and more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon organic za’atar seasoning, plus more for garnish
- 1 clove organic garlic
- ½ teaspoon organic cumin
- 2 tablespoons organic tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss cauliflower florets in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, and roast in a single layer for about 20 minutes, or until fork-tender. Alternatively, you can steam or boil for 10 minutes, but be sure to remove the excess water so it won’t be too runny.
- Optional: during the last 5-6 minutes of roasting, throw garlic clove into the oven.
- Combine the cauliflower, garlic clove, and remaining ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Place in a bowl and garnish with more za’atar seasoning and a drizzle of olive oil.