Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Key Notes: Paleo, Keto, Diabetic-friendly, Gluten-free
Cauliflower is such a versatile vegetable–when quickly steamed and grated, it can take the place of rice (like we did here for a Riceless Korean Bibimbap), and when boiled until tender and mashed, you’ll find it hard to miss mashed potatoes!
It can be used to make keto and paleo-friendly breads, as well as dough for pizza!
The possibilities are endless.
Today, we’re presenting it as a delicious low-carb spin on your favorite comfort casserole.
Instead of potatoes loaded with starches and sugar, cauliflower mash takes the place of the top “crust” in this savory shepherd’s pie.
Be sure to use organic vegetables which avoids carcinogenic pesticides and herbicides, and organic grass-fed ground beef–this makes sure you don’t accidentally end up ingesting antibiotics and hormone laced meat.
This easy weeknight meal can be frozen in individual casserole dishes and reheated in either the oven or the microwave.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Mash
- 1 medium organic cauliflower head
- 1 cup organic grass fed milk (alternatively 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup organic grassfed cream cheese)
- ½ stick unsalted organic grassfed butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup shredded organic grassfed cheddar cheese
- Organic chives, for garnish (optional)
Ingredients for Meat Filling
- 1 lb organic grass-fed ground beef
- 1 medium organic carrot, diced
- ½ organic white onion, diced (optional)
- 2 cloves organic garlic, minced (optional)
- ¼ cup organic tomato, crushed (optional)
- ½ teaspoon organic thyme
- ½ teaspoon organic rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra organic virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon organic worcestershire sauce
- Cut cauliflower head into 2 – 3 inch pieces and place into a pot of salted boiling water. Boil until tender, about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain, and return to pot.
- Add milk (or milk and cream cheese), butter, salt and pepper to taste. With an immersion blender, blend until smooth “mashed potato” consistency. Alternatively, place tender cauliflower, milk (and cream cheese if using), butter, salt and pepper into a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- In a large pan, saute carrots, onion (if using), garlic (if using) in olive oil until fragrant over medium high heat.
- Add ground beef and brown. Add crushed tomato (if using), thyme, rosemary, balsamic vinegar, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper to taste. Cook until flavors are well combined, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon meat filling into casserole pan, and cover in a layer of cauliflower mash (about ½ inch – 1 inch thick). Top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake shepherd’s pie until cheese has melted and become bubbly, about 10 minutes. Serve hot.