Fennel and Mandarin Salad
This delightfully refreshing salad pairs mandarin oranges with bulb fennel, a fiber-rich vegetable that is loved for its anise flavor. It’s a variety of fennel that forms a bulb at the base, which can be eaten raw or cooked. You can actually use any type of orange or grapefruit for this salad, since the method of slicing them remain the same. By taking off the peel with a knife and then cutting the slices out, you avoid having to painstakingly peel the oranges.
Remember to use organic ingredients to avoid eating pesticides and herbicides.
This salad is always a hit at barbecues and potlucks, and more than one person has been surprised by this application of fennel. Make sure you slice the fennel thin since it is crisp and occasionally might be tough if you don’t.
- 1 – 2 medium-sized organic bulb fennel
- 1 cup organic orange slices (with no skin)
- 1 tablespoon organic lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped organic cilantro
- 1 teaspoon organic raw Honey (optional)
- Salt and Organic Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons organic extra virgin olive oil
- Thinly slice the bulb fennels, removing the bottom stem and any green tops that remain.
- Toss with orange slices, lime juice, cilantro, honey (if using), olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.