Whole Roasted Cornish Game Hen
Cornish Game Hens are a young cornish cross meat chicken, fast-growing, and loaded with protein. Each weighs no more than two pounds and a single game hen is perfect for two people without having to worry about it being too old or too much.
We recommend sourcing organic pasture-raised game hens which are much more flavorful and healthier than those from industrial productions. This method of spatchcocking and placing the rub under the skin ensures a juicy, evenly cooked bird, which is often hard to achieve because white meat and dark meat are done at different times.
Serve with some of our sides like roasted brussels sprouts or a salad for a healthy meal!
- 1 whole organic pasture-raised Cornish game hen
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon organic oregano
- 1 teaspoon organic thyme
- 1 teaspoon organic rosemary
- 4 cloves minced organic garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Juice and zest of one organic lemon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- To spatchcock the bird, using kitchen shears, remove the spine and flatten the bird, skin side facing up.
- Combine the olive oil, oregano, thyme, garlic, lemon juice, zest, salt, and pepper and rub it both under the skin and over the skin.
- Roast the game hen for about 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit and juices run clear.