Zucchini and Smoked Gouda Au Gratin
This rich gratin is made with delectable zucchini or summer squash, making it lighter and less carb-heavy compared to the traditional potato au gratin. Smoked gouda is on a whole other level when it comes to cheese for this style of dish, creamy and smoky, it pairs wonderfully with rosemary and a little paprika.
This is great as a side dish for steak or other meats, while still being keto-friendly and low-carb friendly. Please use organic wherever you can, since much of the issues with our digestive system can often be due to the unfortunate side effects of chemical use in agriculture.
You can put this together the day before and pop it in the oven a bit before dinner.
- 2 organic zucchini or summer squash, sliced to ⅛ inch rounds
- ½ teaspoon organic rosemary
- 1 cup organic grass-fed shredded smoked gouda, plus more for topping
- 1 pinch organic nutmeg
- 1 cup organic grass-fed heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons organic grass-fed butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, combine butter, cream, nutmeg, and shredded gouda over medium heat until smooth. You will be making a white sauce, so don’t allow it to come to a boil or the sauce will break (separate into oil and solids). Whisk quickly so that it becomes smooth.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a gratin or otherwise, oven-safe pan, place one layer of squash, add the sauce, and repeat until all the squash has been used up. Top with more shredded gouda.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the zucchini/squash has become tender and cooked and the top is golden brown.