Shrimp and Cauliflower Grits Recipe
Key Notes: Paleo, Keto, Diabetic friendly, Gluten Free, Low Carb
Shrimp and grits is the quintessential southern breakfast, but those who subscribe to the paleo and keto lifestyle would have had to skip it.
In comes cauliflower grits, where processing the cauliflower and cooking it in the traditional form of grits has brought this beloved dish back to our tables.
Succulent shrimp, smokey andouille sausage, over cheesy cauliflower grits is the perfect savory breakfast or brunch.
Don’t hesitate to add an egg as well!
Usually, sausages are difficult to truly vet as organic, but making sure they’re uncured gives it another layer of protection.
Without nitrates and other chemicals, the ingredients in the sausage would have to be top notch in order to maintain freshness and taste.
Make sure you use organic cauliflower, especially since the florets would otherwise be home to unwelcomed pesticides and fungicides.
Organic grass-fed butter, milk, and cheese means no hormones and antibiotics.
A splash of lime juice over the whole bowl will have you going back for seconds!
- 2 cups organic cauliflower
- 3 tablespoons organic grass-fed Butter
- 1 cups organic grass-fed Milk
- 2 cloves organic Garlic, minced
- ¼ cup organic Onion, diced
- ½ organic free range Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon organic Cajun Herb Blend
- 1 organic uncured Andouille Sausage, sliced
- 1 cup shredded organic free range Cheddar Cheese
- 1 dozen organic wild caught Shrimp, deveined and shelled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Organic lime wedges
- Organic Scallions, for garnish if desired
- Blend cauliflower in a food processor with milk and chicken broth until coursely smooth. Set to the side.
- In a pot over medium high heat, bring cauliflower grits to a simmer and cook until cauliflower bits are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in three tablespoons butter and half of the cheddar cheese. Keep warm.
- In a pan, saute the onions and garlic in remaining butter until fragrant. Add sliced uncured Andouille sausage and cook for about 5 minutes until sausage is no longer raw.
- Add shrimp and cajun seasonings and cook until shrimp is cooked through.
- Spoon cauliflower grits into a bowl, top with some of the remaining shredded cheddar cheese, spoon shrimp and sausage mix over grits, and serve with organic lime wedges. Garnish with scallions if desired.