Polish Egg Scramble Recipe
Key Notes: Keto, Paleo, Low Carb
This simple egg scramble is a traditional breakfast dish gleaned from a group of Polish immigrants who were engaged in a lively discussion about seasonal mushroom hunting.
While traditionally made with intensely yellow chanterelles (aptly named “kurki”, or “chicks”), it can be made with regular white button mushrooms.
If you can find freshly foraged chanterelles (which are in season from spring to fall, depending on where you are located), all the better.
If not, picking up a package of organic white button or baby bella mushrooms is your best bet. Mushrooms are the fruiting body of fungi, which live as mycelium in their substrate medium.
Unfortunately, they are dynamic accumulators of toxins and heavy metals, so we’re using certified organic mushrooms for good reason!
Cage free organic eggs are richer and far superior to their pale-yolked counterparts, and a dollop of full fat sour cream made from organic grass-fed milk gives the right amount of acidity to the earthy flavors of the mushrooms.
Make sure you remove the eggs from heat right before they set, so that the scrambled eggs remain fluffy and creamy.
While parsley is often used for visual appeal, it’s flavor is truly brought out in this scramble.
You can eat it with a fork, but a spoonful of everything at once somehow feels more decadent.
- 3 – 4 cage-free organic eggs
- 2 tablespoon organic grassfed butter
- 2 tablespoons organic onions, diced (avoid if allium intolerant)
- 1 cup fresh organic button or chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned and cut in half or sliced
- 1 tablespoon organic chives (avoid if allium intolerant)
- 1 teaspoon organic parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream as needed
- In a pan over medium high heat, sautee onions in 1 tablespoon butter until slightly translucent. Add mushrooms and chives and cook until mushrooms are tender Remove from heat and set to the side.
- Beat eggs throroughly and scramble in pan until almost set. Remove from heat and add the cooked mushrooms to the pan. Mix quickly and place in serving dish.
- Add dollops of sour cream on top of the scramble and serve.